Articles > Seasonal Safety Tips

Keeping Warm & Staying Safe During the Heating Season
9 Oct 2006

 

 

Fall
If you wait until fall to have your chimney cleaned, expect longer waits and higher fees.  We sympathize; it’s human nature to procrastinate.  Paying more and waiting longer is still a small price to pay for the safety you gain by having your chimney clean, safe and ready to use.
*Make sure your firewood is stacked and covered on top in a way that keeps out rain but allows air to circulate to let the firewood continue to dry.
*Scan your hearth area for newspapers, toys and other combustible items that need to be removed from the area. Review fire safety with family.
*Check batteries on your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
*Check door and glass gaskets to make sure they seal properly before lighting your stove or fireplace.
*Gas logs, stoves, fireplaces and inserts should have their burners serviced and control access cleaned before use. Dust bunnies, pet hair, etc. can clog the gas jets. Refer to owners manual for instructions.

 

Winter  
Don’t leave open wood fires unattended!  
*Don’t let children operate your stove or fireplace.
*Don’t place candles or combustible decorations on the mantel or hearth.
*DO NOT TRY TO BURN YOUR CHRISTMAS TREE IN YOUR WOODSTOVE OR FIREPLACE. A deadly flash fire will likely occur.
*Candles cause a great deal of soot. Thousands of homeowner insurance claims for soot damage every year may be attributed to the use of candles. Tips: keep the wick under 1/4” long, do not burn a single candle for more than 2 hours and do not blow out a candle to extinguish it.
*Store ashes in a tightly covered metal container for at least a week before final disposal. Do not place containers of ashes on a wooden deck since heat can transfer to the decking and cause a fire. This happens hundreds of times across America every year. Ashes are great for certain plants so recycle them after they are completely cooled.
*Never use gas grills, smokers or other outdoor cooking equipment indoors, including an attached garage with the doors open, even in an emergency power outage. An appliance intended for outdoor use can emit fatal amounts of carbon monoxide fumes into your home in minutes.
*In event of an ice or snow storm, check the chimney top to make sure it’s unobstructed before lighting a fire so you’re assured that smoke & fumes can escape.
*Check batteries on your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
*Review fire safety with your family. Establish an escape procedure and meeting place so all family members can be accounted for if the worst fire emergency should occur.
*Check door and glass gaskets to make sure they seal properly before lighting your stove or fireplace.
*Gas logs, stoves, fireplaces and inserts should have their burners serviced and control access cleaned before use. Dust bunnies, pet hair, etc. can clog the gas jets. Refer to owners manual for instructions.